Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Capture Your Holidays

I'm taking an online photo class called Capture Your Holidays by Katrina Kennedy at Get It Scrapped. I've taken another class from Katrina and would highly recommend her photography classes, she's great. This class just started yesterday and the first lesson was about photographing lights to get a bokeh effect and a starburst effect. I had a lot of fun playing around with this and thought I'd share some of my results here.

Just lights:



Our elf, Fritz, with bokeh. Pretty magical, huh?




Here's the starburst effect. This look is achieved by leaving the shutter open for a long time so you have to have a steady surface or a tripod to eliminate movement. I don't have a tripod, so I had to settle for the angle I could get from my coffee table. I would love to play around with this more and get a closer shot with a different angle.



And one more bokeh, with my son in there too. I really like the look of the colored lights - we found these on a tree in the waiting area of a restaurant we were at this morning.



Have you ever tried shooting bokeh? I love the look, and it was a lot easier to achieve than I expected. I'm hoping I can keep up with all the lessons over the next two weeks, and get some really good holiday photos to scrap!

xoxo,

No comments: